PMHA Parent Guide
Beginner Level (Timbits), IP Jr, IP Sr, Tyke and Novice House League
The OMHA has implemented changes. Please see the OMHA Implementation Guide - Programming for Novice & Below on the PMHA website under the registration tab.eginner
● Registration begins April 15th and runs until May 31st. Pre-school (Tim Bits) level players may register until December 1st (no late fee applies to a first year player). Registration must be done online through PMHA’s website petroliaminorhockey.com registration tab. Please visit the registraion tab on the web site for more detailed information.
● One parent must complete the online course Respect in Sport available through the PMHA website prior to the season.
● Ice time begins in mid-to-late September. Watch the PMHA Website Pre-school (Tim Bits) Team pages, follow PMHA Facebook and Twitter accounts for more information and watch for emails as this is our preferred method of communication.
● Players must wear full equipment (jock/jill, neck guard, shin pads, socks, pants, elbow pads, shoulder pads, mouth guard, helmet, and skates). Jerseys will be provided and socks will be provided.
● The end of the season will be around the 3rd weekend of March each season.
Beginner (Tim Bits) Program
**Registration includes a pair of socks and a jersey for each player to keep at end of the season**
Beginners will have 1 hour of ice time per week on Saturday mornings at 9 AM in Petrolia.
First Year Players - 4 yr old and under
Basic Skills of players at this level: players that have never played or skated (also try CanSkate - ask for more details), players that have difficulty moving across the ice without assistance
Players will be split into two groups but will always practice together.
The focus of the pre-school (Tim Bits) program is to develop basic skills (eg. skating, agility, puck control) in a small group setting. Players will rotate through a variety of stations.
As the season progresses there will be small ice games for part of the practice time.
Initiation Program - IP 1 and IP 2
5 & 6 year old players
Players will have two ice times each week. One of these times will be Saturday morning in Petrolia. The others time will either be Sunday morning in Petrolia or Watford. Practice ice will be shared with by the two teams.
There are two levels to the IP Program
IP 1 and IP 2
The teams in each level will always practice together.
7 year old players
Players will have two ice times each week. One of these times will be
Saturday morning in Petrolia. The others time will either be
Sunday morning in Petrolia or Watford.
Practice ice will be shared with by the two teams.
Novice House League/Tricounty
8 year old players
Novice HL/Tricounty League players will typically have two home ice times per week. Typically a home game Saturday AM in Petrolia and practice time rotating through the practice schedule for Novice, Atom and Pee Wee teams. The team will play out the Tri-county League and will have away games as well (Mooretown, Wallaceburg, Dresden, Ridgetown and Blenheim).
● PMHA is an organization run by volunteers.
● In order to minimize registration costs and keep things running parents are strongly encouraged to complete volunteer hours.
● Parents of Pre-school (Tim Bits) must submit one $500 post-dated cheque to their Team Manager at the start of the season (dated April 1). If parents complete 6 hours of volunteer time the cheque will not be deposited.
● Parents of IP/Tyke/Novice must submit two $500 cheques, post-dated to December 31 and April 1, to their Team Manager at the start of the season. If parents complete 12 hours of volunteer time the cheque will not be deposited.
● Watch the website and read organizational emails from your Parent Rep for volunteer opportunities including Silver Stick and bingos.
● Volunteering as a coach or on-ice helper may count towards the volunteer hours.
● The Ontario Minor Hockey Association (OMHA) requires a copy of each player’s birth certificate before approving a team roster.
● Team rosters are required to enter tournaments at the Beginner or Tyke level.
● The parents of first year players only will be asked for a picture of each player’s birth certificate by the Parent Rep or Team Manager at the beginning of the season.
Please contact PMHA with any questions and we will do our best to help out. We hope you enjoy the season!